Out in the middle of nowhere in Elbert County, stands a granite monument that is called the Georiga Guidestones. It has been there since 1980, and is referred to as an “American Stonehenge”. The amazing design of this monument allows it to be a compass, calendar and a clock.
On each side of the four tablets, a set of ten guidelines are engraved. Each side is engraved in a different language. Apparently these guidelines are seen as controversial, which encouraged some people to vandalize it in 2008. It has been restored and is currently under camera surveillance.
The ten Guidelines are as follows:
- Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
- Guide reproduction wisely – improving fitness and diversity.
- Unite humanity with a living new language.
- Rule passion – faith- tradition- and all things with tempered reason.
- Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
- Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in world court.
- Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
- Balance personal rights with social duties.
- Prize truth – beauty – love – seeking harmony with the infinite.
- Be not a cancer on the Earth – Leave room for nature – Leave room for nature.
The author or authors of these guidelines are unknown.
According to the explanatory tablet, there is a time capsule below this spot, but there is no date engraved as to when this capsule should be opened.
It is definitely a site to see. Being off the beaten path, I was amazed to witness several people visiting and admiring such a structure.